Rottnest Island is an island paradise with a casual vibe, an abundant amount of marine life and some of the world’s most pristine beaches.
Roughly 20km off the coast of Perth, this sunny holiday island of Rottnest truly is one of Western Australia’s best kept secrets!
“Rottnest Island earned its curious name when in 1696, Dutch explorer, William de Vlamingh, mistook the island’s unusual marsupial population for common rats and named it Rottnest – literally translating to ‘rats nest’. Today, having a photo taken alongside the ‘rats’ – known as Quokkas – is one of the main highlights for visitors to the island.”
And just a short ferry ride from Fremantle or Perth with Rottnest Express makes this a day trip you MUST tick off on any trip to Perth.
$99 return from Perth or discounted if you choose to stop in Fremantle for dinner on the way home and then train back to Perth.
THINGS TO DO ON ROTTNEST ISLAND
– Hire a bike and snorkel gear from Rottnest Island Pedal & Flipper.
Roughly $30 for the day , and I overheard someone saying they do timed hires too (like 2hours etc)
– Swim and relax by the stunning waters – you have loads of hidden spots to choose from!
– Hire SUP boards and go paddle boarding – pricing below.
– Encounter a variety of wildlife including the amazing little quokkas!
– Enjoy an island lunch at one of the many restaurants dotted around the place
– Visit the local supermarket and put together your own picnic for the day.
– Spend an hour on the Inflatable World!
The list could just go on and on – best to find out for yourself 🙂
FOR CREW – Click here for more details about doing this on a layover and pricing etc.
… QUOKKAS …
Essentially a baby kangaroo – the cutest, friendliest little dudes are found everywhere over the island. The size of a domestic cat, mainly nocturnal and a herbivore!
Look under the trees, under tables etc and you will see them fast asleep during the day. They do seem to wake very easily too and are super inquisitive so don’t be scared 🙂 I dont think they bite ? haha!
JUST 4 FUN AQUA PARK
As soon as you get off the ferries as you walk down the jetty you will see this inflatable water park off to the right hand side.
An absolute MUST to spend a few hours here enjoying everything they have to offer!
We opted for the SUP boards and 30mins on the Main Park and felt this was a great use of time and great value for money too 🙂
ALL AGES MAIN PARK
30 Mins = $13.00
1hour = $20.00
Day Pass = $45.00
KNEE DEEP PARK
7 Years and under
30mins = $7.50
1hour = $13.00
Day Pass = $25.00
2 Adults + 2kids (under 16)
30mins = $42.00
1hour = $65.00
Beach Shelter + 2 Chairs = $7.50 hour
Stand Up Paddle Boards = $13.00 30mins // $20.00 hour
Paddle Boats = $13.00 30mins
THINGS TO TAKE WITH YOU FOR THE DAY
A few things I would recommend taking for the day exploring are as follows:
– Snacks (although you can buy these at the supermarket on the island too)
– Drone if you have one! Such an awesome place to fly it, and *currently no restrictions.*
– Camera / Underwater Camera / Go Pro
– Small Backpack / Beach Bag
– Snorkel and Mask if you have one , saves you having to pay to hire.